Monday, January 18, 2010

meOW

blazer: Thrift > DIY, shirt: Wilfred, shoes: Thrift

Feeling ......... let's just say I was rushed for this photo.

The makeshift vest I'm wearing is a 'special' piece. I'm filing this under DIY, as it became just that. Not intentionally. It was actually a broad-shouldered (a la '90s) blazer that may have had equally unflattering pants to go with it, in another life. After wearing it maybe once because I was so self-conscious of the awful-fitting shoulder pads, I decided to try and alter it. I am an amateur-- at best-- with the sewing machine, so I try to avoid using it as much as possible. At first, thinking maybe by removing the built-in shoulder pads altogether, I may be able to salvage it as a blazer. This was not the case, and with my results I wanted to just trash the thing. Then, weeks later, I came across a photo of Nicole Richie with Mary Kate in a silk vest dress (le sigh, couldn't find a better photo of it!).



This concept inspired me to turn my hideous mess of a blazer into a vest, and moments later I was cutting off the sleeves, and sewing (by hand, obvi) the lining and the unfinished hem toghether.



I wish I could show off my sewing job, but black on black is impossible to capture on my camera!