Thursday, March 18, 2010

Sunny Day & Candace Ang headbands






blazer & shoes: Thrift, top: Zara, jeans: Nudie

Where to start? It's a beautiful day in the neighbourhood. Warm enough at least, to go out with just a blazer. I really like playing with androgynous looks -- although what I wear is considered "androgynous lite", I love pairing menswear inspired trousers, jackets, or shoes with (or without) girlier pieces. Actually, I prefer masculine styles made for women, and will choose those pieces over the girlier ones. The shoes I'm wearing in the photo were a recent thrift purchase. I found those at my fave Value Village with absolutely no wear on the soles.

As for my recent DIY project in the mix, I spotted these cute headbands at Holt Renfrew last summer in a variety of colours and styles. I tried one on and instantly fell in love. However, that faded quickly once I realized these headbands were retailing for $60.00 each. Not justifiable whatsoever.


My BFF, who was with me in Holt's at the time, came up with the idea that we should just make these ourselves. Actually having the spare time this week, I picked up some supplies and decided to try it out.

My total cost for supplies: $3.00. Here's the finished product!



I rushed to get this one finished because I got really excited about how it turned out! The zipper part almost looks navy in this light, but in person it's pure black. Pretty cool if I do say so myself.

*BALENCIAGA UPDATE: I made going to check out dyes one of my goals for this week. Didn't happen. Fiona Jackson (Life Coach) would not be impressed. This weekend for sure!